Sunday, May 6, 2012

Six Sentence Sunday

This is a love story, but there is a part where I wrote a scene involving bullying.  At the time I wrote this story teenage bullying was all over the news.   I wanted to address it in this story,  shine some light on something that is continuing to go on.   I was a victim of bullying in school, but at that time no one did anything about it.   Many schools do have anti-bullying programs,  but I don't think it's enough.  The schools can't control what happens off school property (or off the buses)

I thought my six sentences would be taken from a scene that was so hard for me to write.


“Stop the car!”   William leapt out as soon as Gabriel pulled over, Gabriel hot on his heels. 

As they got closer to the boy, they slowed their pace they didn’t want to spook him.  “Hello?”  William softly said.

“Leave me alone!”  The teen inched closer to the edge.

Buy Link

please check out other Six Sentences at this site
six sentence Sunday

4 comments:

  1. Oh, gosh! I can understand why the scene would be hard to write.

    ReplyDelete
  2. With your lead in, this is extra heart wrenching. You did a beautiful job with the emotion and intensity!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for posting this about bullying it is so important.

    This is an early comment but I just wanted to say “Thank You” for letting me be included in your Hop Against Homophobia. I am afraid I am not a talented m/m fiction writer like yourself but I am an avid reader of it.

    I guess I do not fit into any category really since I write non-fiction for an adult gay studio.
    http://shadowsterling.blogspot.com/2012/04/studio-i-write-for.html

    But this is a cause I feel strongly about and I wanted to let you know I appreciate the opportunity to be included.

    I put a post up at the top of my blog on May 5th and it will remain up until May 19th. http://shadowsterling.blogspot.com/2012/05/straights-and-international-day-against.html

    Since I do not write books I will be donating money to PFLAG here in the U.S. in the name of the winner.

    Thank you again for the inclusion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bullying has been ignored and, yes, almost accepted by society. We simply turn a blind eye to it. I was a teen in the sixties. A teen who stuttered. Because of that difference, I was often bullied, taunted, shoved around. School was a place of fear and tension for me. Now, as a grandma, I can't bear to see others vilified because of what society percieves as "being different." My youngest granddaughter was born with her right arm ending an inch below her elbow joint. She, too, suffers from bullying. It is a scourge on our society--and one continually ignored. Why should we allow GLBT's to be treated in this manner? Are we all united by our humanity, or not? What differences are okay? Eye color? Height? Freckles or no? Skin color? Physical perfection? Sexual orientation? If you won't eat meat, does that give me the right to bully you and your difference in thinking from mine? If you speak with a southern twang and I don't, does that give me the right to bully you? One could go on and on, yet the fact remains: Bullying, for any reason, is wrong.

    ReplyDelete